Q: Warning lights flashed when passing another vehicle

This morning I accelerated to go around a slower-moving vehicle and suddenly warning lights started flashing. They were: sluggish performance, EPC, and check engine. My car crept home and I turned it off and at that time only the EPC light was on. It feels like the spark plugs or coils might be the trouble. What is your advice and what should I do?

The EPC (electronic power control) light indicates an error and is seen when there is a fault with the throttle body, traction control, gas pedal, or cruise control system. When the EPC and check engine lights are on, the car’s computer will put the car into a limp mode which limits the vehicle’s speed, engine RPMs, and throttle response. A wide range of items can cause all of these faults but a throttle body fault or ignition fault is most likely.

I recommend getting your engine control unit scanned for error codes by a qualified mechanic. A technician will first check all the codes stored in the system to determine which direction to go with any necessary repairs. The certified mobile mechanics from YourMechanic can provide this inspection at your home or office.