Q: Warning lights and messages.

I have had my car for about 3 months. I was driving back from Liverpool to Manchester on the motorway. My trip computer came up with messages engine systems fault, steering assist failure and my rev and speed clocks went down to zero even though I was going 70. After a while the clocks went back to normal bit the computer said speed limited mode and the CEL was on. Since then this keeps happening and sometimes my car will not start almost as if the immobiliser has kicked in. It is not the battery as I have replaced this, I just wanted a professional opinion before I throw money at the problem and don't fix it. Thanks

A: I’d suggest having the computer scanned to ...

I’d suggest having the computer scanned to see exactly what code is set in the memory. This is crucial for an accurate diagnoses of a fault like this. If this isn’t done, you’re right, you’ll be throwing money at an unknown problem which is never good. Contact a certified mechanic who has the tools and capability to accurately diagnose your Check Engine Light. An accurate repair can then be made once the problem has been pinpointed.