Q: Pre-purchase question 2007 Honda Civic

I want to buy a 07 civic si off the dealer. 99k miles, super clean in and out. Only thing is the gears are hard to put in. When the car is off it's pretty stiff to put into 1,2 and 5,6,R but 3rd and 4th go in like butter. Even when driving 1st gear can be hard to get into. Ok really interested in the car and the ford dealer tells me there's nothing wrong with it but I've drove those year civics before and every gear is super smooth. What could it be ?

A: Hello - I think you’ve identified a problem...

Hello - I think you’ve identified a problem with the shifter cables on this Civic. Stiff, or difficult shifting motion, whether on or off, is likely a worn, or misadjusted shifter cable. In this case, I would recommend a thorough Pre-Purchase Inspection of the vehicle by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to the vehicle location, diagnose this and any other problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. The dealer should not object to this inspection.