Q: Wanted to ask , if I need to replace the compressor on 2001 lincoln ls ?

I began to check freon if needed, but was almost overfilled as shown on gauge on little hose. A bit later, went down to on green , meaning was good level . Still blew heat through vents while on a/c FULL BLAST ! Bad compressor , couldn't hear the clutch turn , like u usually do . Maybe you don't these kind of newer cars .

A: A compressor that does not engage can be ...

Hello.

A compressor that does not engage can be caused by many things besides a faulty compressor. The compressor is controlled by a clutch cycling or AC pressure switch that will tell the compressor when to turn on and off.

If there is a problem with these switches then the compressor may not get the signal to power on, and will not function. It may also be possible that the clutch or compressor are bad. I would start by testing the switches and relays and going from there.

If you need help with these checks, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mechanics can come diagnose the issue with your AC and help you make an accurate repair.