Q: VW reliability improvements over past several years

I am considering a lightly used 2016 Golf. From your experience, are VW's really that unreliable / expensive to fix? Have they gotten better over the past several years? What are the most common maintenance problems? Thanks!

Hi there. Over the last 5 years or so VW has done a great job of making their cars more reliable. Though the advancements in the cars are great, 99% of the reliability comes from maintenance. Where some other are fine going a few thousand miles past an oil change or going a ways over on other maintenance such as transmission services VW vehicles are not as forgiving. You want to maintain it meticulously if you want it to last. Longevity is still my biggest concern with these cars.

Though they are much better than they used to be they do not have the same reliability in the 5-10 year mark. Issues such as turbo’s and transmissions are common in that timeframe which can be expensive. Even smaller repairs such as brakes can be much more expensive on this brand when comparing it to some other models. I would simply recommend finding a great shop or dealer and making sure that you keep a good maintenance schedule on this car if you plan on keeping it for a while.

Since you’re considering purchasing a used car, I would recommend having certified technician perform a pre-purchase inspection on it. This will give you a greater sense of the car’s conditions and help ease your mind before you commit to a purchase. Good luck!

3. VW reliability improvements over past several years