Q: volkswagon is buying back my diesel and am thinking of buying an audi A 3 but nervous about cost to own. why is the oil change so

should i buy an audi a3?

A: The A3 oil change is a bit more expensive b...

The A3 oil change is a bit more expensive because it has a turbo-charged engine. The turbocharger utilizes exhaust gas energy to drive a compressor for intake air for the engine, and experiences very high temperatures. This requires the use of full-synthetic oil in the engine, a slightly greater expense than a normally aspirated (non-turbo) engine. Audi has had a track record of more expensive engine maintenance - mostly due to cam timing gear and turbocharger failures with the 4 cylinder engines. The turbocharged engines also use more oil than a non-turbo engine, but this is not necessarily Audi-specific. Lovely cars, but a bit more expensive to own and maintain.