Q: Can anyone help me verifying the safety and durability of a z4 Chevy cavalier before I buy the car.

I am looking to buy a z4 Chevy cavalier. The car is used, no maintenance issues or crashes and the guy has been driving it for 7-8 years in my area. I live in the D.C./md/va area. Would there be any outlying or heightened concerns driving this car in the winter or heavy rain? Also this car received a poor crash rating amongst many tests, should this raise concern for me as a novice driver?

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. Any vehicle that is in the market to purchase has a rating for crashes and demolition. The thing you would want to look at is not the crash report on the cars, but rather the safety of the vehicle and the maintenance schedule. Chevy Cavalier’s have been around for many years and have a good rating. Any vehicle on the road is subject to collision. The vehicle has a 4 star rating for driver on 4 door and 3 star rating for driver on 2 door. The front passenger has a 4 star rating for 4 door and 2 door. For rear passengers, the 4 door has a 3 star rating and the 2 door has a 2 star rating. It is up to you to decide on buying a car, but I recommend looking at the safecar.gov website prior to buying any car for questions to any safety collision ratings and reports.

• Can anyone help me verifying the safety and durability of a z4 Chevy cavalier before I buy the car.