Q: Vehicle won't start; engine turns; stalls

After attending a sports game, I returned to my truck and it wouldn’t start. The engine is turning and trying to start, plus it sounds normal while it’s trying. So I'm sure it’s not the battery. The Check Gauge light came on the dashboard and it has the battery icon below it. The problem probably isn't the fuel because I had 150 miles left (a quarter of a tank full). The lights, windows, radio, etc. are all still working and do turn on. However the truck still stalls. Can you please tell me what is causing these problems and what to do to solve them?

Hi, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Ford Excursion. The first thing to check is the glow plug control module (GPCM) connector. Ford has a TSB out for 2002 and 2003 model Excursions with a diesel engine where there are issues with the connector, and this can cause a hard/no start condition.

There is a replacement connector kit available to correct this issue. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can complete the diagnosis of the GPCM connector and have the tools and expertise to install the updated connector kit.

3. Vehicle won't start; engine turns; stalls