Q: Vehicle using oil too fast

My vehicle is going through a lot of oil.

Hello, I would assume that you have little oil loss externally, so the engine is consuming the oil. There are a few places the oil could be going. The valve stem seal which are made of rubber might have hardened up and are not sealing oil from the valve stems and is entering the combustion chamber.The PCV system could be malfunctioning letting the engine suck oil through the intake system. The last place is the piston rings are worn and are allowing oil to stay on the cylinder walls and is being ingested that way.

The first thing to look at is the spark plugs to see if they show signs of burning oil. To check the base engine, a cylinder leak down test should be done to check the condition of the piston rings. To check the valve stem seals is a little more difficult, a bore scope can be used but is not always available. On some engines, the intake and exhaust manifolds must be removed for inspection. If you would like to have this checked, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your system for oil leaks to determine what repair should be made.

3. Vehicle using oil too fast