Q: Vehicle having a hard time passing smog check.

My 98 Honda Prelude won't pass a smog check. While I have taken a few steps to pass, as of yet I have not. This includes replacing the catalytic converter. One problem is that the Check Engine Light is always on. I need help in getting my vehicle in a good enough shape to pass the smog check.

The first thing to do would be to see what the failures are. The Check Engine light would have to be scanned to see why it is on and address the codes. Then once the light codes are fixed then the emissions can be checked again. I would recommend having a mechanic, like the certified ones at YourMechanic, come and check it out for you to see what is causing the problem.