Q: Vehicle doesn't turn completely to the right sometimes steering box pops sometimes

Doesn't turn to right fully sometimes and steering box makes a piping sound occasionally

Hi there:

After reading about the issue with your 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it appears to me that there may be a multitude of front end suspension issues going on that are causing the popping sound and the restrictions with the steering wheel turning right. On sport utility vehicles that are 4-wheel driven (and even two-wheel drive models), one of the best warning signs of a CV joint or ball joint beginning to fail is a popping noise. This noise is also common with worn out stabilizer bar links or bushings, tie rods, and the upper strut mounts.

The sound coming from the steering box might also be an indication of a problem with the rack and pinion or perhaps as simple as needing to add power steering fluid. The best advice I’d give is to check the power steering fluid level first. If it’s low, use the manufacturer’s recommended steering fluid and fill to the appropriate level. Start the Jeep again and test drive it to determine if the popping sound is still there. The loud popping sound you’re talking about typically doesn’t improve without having a professional mechanic inspect, diagnose and repair the damaged components. You can contact YourMechanic to have them test and diagnose the problem at your location. Thanks for writing in!

• Vehicle doesn't turn completely to the right sometimes steering box pops sometimes