Q: Various maintenance lights on.

A lot of water got into the floor of my car from a cracked open window. I used a wet and dry vac to suction the water out. Hours later while driving maintenance lights came on i.e Check Emission, Check ABS System, Check VSA system, Check Power Steering. What is going on.

A: Water is the enemy to your car’s wiring and...

Water is the enemy to your car’s wiring and electronics. Today’s cars have so much of it, that they are everywhere. There are dozens, even hundreds of feet of wiring harnesses and connectors running on the floor under the carpet and sound insulation. There are even some electronic control modules located under the carpeting as well. While vacuuming the water out was a good idea, the wiring underneath was probably still wet for some time. Once corrosion occurs at the wire connectors, you can have a number of short circuits, shorts to ground, shorted modules,etc. You may want to pull the carpeting up or have a certified technician check the car over.