Q: Van wont turn on

My van won't turn on, it just clicks. I gave it a jump but I put it died after I put it on reverse. I replaced the battery and it will turn on, but it hesitates and jerks when I try to move it. Could something else be wrong?
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help. This suggests potentially a starter relay problem. Often times when the starter relay is faulty, this will cause the car to click as you describe when turning the key. This relay directs power from the battery to the starter as the key is turned. If you would like help, consider having one of our expert automotive technicians come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs (such as replacing the starter relay) as needed.