Q: Van will start but then stops with oil light comes on

My wife had been driving the van earlier and it was working fine. I went outside and started to let it get warm my wife said it shut off. I went outside and it was off. I restarted the van and it would not give any gas no vroom and then soon would cut off with the oil light coming on. The van is to the point to where I would start it but it cut off immediately and the oil light comes on. This is a all of sudden issue. The van is coming up on a oil change.

The problem sounds like you have lost fuel pressure to the engine. You should have the fuel pressure checked to see if the fuel pressure is low or not have any pressure at all. Then scan the computer to see if there are any codes that would cause loss of fuel pressure. You most likely have a bad in tank fuel pump.

Hi There! It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve causing your engine idle to fluctuate and eventually stall. In the mornings it is normal for the engine idle to be a bit higher than normal when you start the car as this is the cold start enrichment process which allows the engine to warm up sufficiently. If the idle air control valve is dirty or not functioning properly, this may cause it to stall as you describe. The oil light will come on when the engine stalls as it is indicating that there is no oil pressure, which is normal when the engine stalls. The oil pressure should not have any effect on causing the engine to stall as this is usually related to fuel or spark issues.

The idle air control valve is a small valve on the engine’s intake system that reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this cause a disruption in this process resulting in the engine not being able to idle properly. I would recommend having a professional come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Van will start but then stops with oil light comes on