Q: Van starts then shuts off.

Was driving one day completely normal, out of no where the van shut off. It would not turn on at all. Had to bring it home to the computer which said the crank shaft was the issue. Changed it, still was not turning on. Checked every fuse and pumps. Everything was good, google some stuff and it recommened me to check the computer. Took it to get it tested, it was really bad. Finally got the computer as well as programmed. Now the Van turns on but shuts off right after. The fuse are okay, fuel pressure is okay. Still not turning on. Already check the computer for a code and it does not show anything.

It may be an issue with the Pass-Lock anti theft system. Is the security light flashing ? Generally when a component like the computer is replaced, the Pass-Lock system needs to be reprogrammed. Follow these instructions.

The Pass-Lock has two basic relearn procedures—a ten-minute procedure and a thirty-minute procedure—and which one you use depends on the system and what components have been replaced.

The ten-minute procedure involves trying to start the engine. If nothing happens or the engine starts and dies, the security light will be flashing. Wait ten minutes. The flashing light should go off or illuminate without flashing. When it does, turn the ignition off, wait twenty seconds, and then try to start the engine. If it starts and runs, everything is okay. If you get the same result as previously—nothing happens or the engine starts and dies with the security light flashing—wait ten more minutes.

You will now begin the thirty-minute relearn procedure, which is just the ten-minute procedure repeated three times. After turning the ignition off for the third time and waiting for twenty seconds, the engine should start and run. If it doesn’t, there may still be something wrong with the system.

After the learn procedure is completed and the engine is running, the security light may stay on steady for a few minutes and then go off—this is normal. Depending on the system, replacement of key components will necessitate that a relearn procedure be completed. These include the ignition lock cylinder, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Body Control Module (BCM), or Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

If this does not help, then further diagnosis into the no start condition should be done as the next step may be the engine wiring harness.

3. Van starts then shuts off.