Q: Van shakes/vibrates after turning on and when pressing gas and brake.

So we recently did a bunch of maintenance and had some repair done. We did oil change, tune-up, new brakes, a new windshield, replaced camshaft position sensor. We just got the van back yesterday after the camshaft position sensor was put in. The van now shakes or vibrates. Before we took it to the shop to have the camshaft position sensor replaced it worked fine, smooth, no problem driving it. After we pick it up its shaking and vibrating as we drove home. The reason we had the camshaft position sensor replaced started with my need to get my tabs and have an emissions test done. The "service engine soon" was on for about a week so I took it to autozone to test the codes. It said the camshaft position sensor was the problem so we got it fixed. The "service engine soon" light was on again while we were driving it home from the shop so we stopped by autozone again. This time the code is for fuel injector 6. We have spent a lot of money already and not sure if that is right. Help!!

Diagnostic Trouble Codes in the OBD-II regime do not identify faulty parts nor are such codes sufficient, in and of themselves, to condemn specific parts. Although vehicle parts are always referred to in the code descriptions, all that means is the part, component, system, and so forth has to be individually tested in order to figure out exactly what is wrong. Think of the codes as "clues" but clues only. Diagnosis and testing of individual parts is outside of the scope of what a Code Scanner can even do unless you are talking about a very complex factory, bi-directional code scanner which Autozone does not in fact use. So, if Autozone reads a code and insinuates that that Code means that you need part "x" for sure, Autozone is giving you bad advice because they are just guessing and they are guessing with your money. If the camshaft position sensor (CPS) was not actually tested at the shop there is literally no way of their knowing if it is bad or good. They are merely guessing; sometimes they guess right; sometimes they don’t. The timing of the new code’s occurrence, that refers to the No. 6 fuel injector, is quite a coincidence, as it comes immediately after the code that referred to the CPS. I would wonder if in working on the CPS, maybe the mechanic accidentally disconnected the wiring to the injector, to No. 6 in particular. Certainly, that is something to check. With regard to the injector code for No. 6, again, that code does not conclusively mean there is anything wrong with the injector. There could be a corroded wire, loose terminal, cut or disconnected wire or, indeed there are other causes. What you need is an actual diagnostic, one performed by a certified Mechanic who understands the meaning of these trouble codes, their limitations, and how to test individual components. What I would suggest is request a check engine light diagnostic which we already know will require tracking down a particular code and if you do that a certified Mechanic from YourMechanic will get to the root cause of the issue and get this resolved for you. If there is an issue with cylinder no. 6 not firing properly, possibly due to an injector, or injector circuit issue, that would at least partly account for the engine vibration. Any "additional" or "different" vibration coming through the body or steering wheel on braking would have a different cause, for example warped or improperly installed brake rotors. If new brake pads were installed, but the rotors were not turned on a brake lathe or replaced with new rotors, they did the job wrong. Please let us know if you have any additional concerns or questions and if you schedule the check engine light diagnostic, the mechanic will get this resolved for you.

3. Van shakes/vibrates after turning on and when pressing gas and brake.