Q: Van shakes, thumping noise

While I'm driving my van, it is shaking a bit. When I try to give it gas, there is a thumping noise. It seems like there is a delay in getting fuel. What could be causing this?

A: Hello. It is possible that a problem exists...

Hello. It is possible that a problem exists with one or both front tires on your Volkswagen Routan. There may be a broken radial belt in the tire. Tires are made with steel radial belts, and these belts hold the round shape of the tire. If a radial belt in the tire happens to break, the tire may shake or make a thumping noise because the tire is no longer perfectly round.

Try rubbing your hand around the tread of the tires and see if you are able to feel any uneven spots. You can also have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out and complete an inspection in order to determine why your car is shaking or vibrating.