Q: Van overheats at idle, temperature jumps and then drops

The van has gone only 65,000 miles. It is well maintained. But, it has been overheating lately. This occurs usually when the weather is hot. Also, it overheats while idling. For instance, I would drive in the city, in the stop-and-go traffic, and when I'm stopped the temperature would jump significantly and then drop down. I installed a new radiator. There are no leaks as far as I checked. What is causing this?

Check to make sure the fan clutch is working by getting the van warmed up good and using a tissue in front of the radiator center have someone raise idle to 2000 rpm and put tissue on the front of radiator and it should stay there. Then let the engine idle to see if the tissue falls or stays in place. If it falls then replace the fan clutch. If it does not fall and stays in place then you may have water pump issues. For a more thorough inspection, enlist the help a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic. They can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating issue and help with repairs.

3. Van overheats at idle, temperature jumps and then drops