Q: Van overheating during city driving

My mini-van has a cooling problem. While the gauge doesn't indicate any overheating, the fan does not seem to be working. The van runs fine while on the freeway, but as soon as I drive it within the city, it starts to steam when I stop. It also leaks a small amount of water from the overflow tank once I stop and turn the van off.

Hi. Coolant coming out from the overflow is normal after it has been topped off, but after it has leveled itself out, the coolant should stay in the overflow tank. The cooling fan normally comes on when you’re sitting at a long light on a hot day. If the temperature never reaches the computers preset temp, it won’t turn the fan on. One thing you could try is to turn on the AC and the computer will turn on the cooling fan, if it works. As for leak, I suspect a small leak near the overflow tank. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect for possible leaks on your vehicle and replace any damaged parts.

3. Van overheating during city driving