Q: Van jumps forward on the drive gear

Had Van checked by a mechanic. It had been overheating and was leaking steering power fluid. Also it jumps forward making a hard thumping sound. New water and power steering pumps were installed by the mechanic. But problems continue: 1. Still leaks power steering power fluid. 2. Van continues leaping forward when drive gear is engaged. What could be the cause?

Hello and thank you for your question. For the issue of the transmission jumping forward and making a thumping sound, there could be a few different things that cause the situation and sound. First check the condition of the brakes and make sure that they are in good shape.

Second, check the idle on the engine to make sure that the idle is not too high. If the idle is too high, then the transmission torque converter will produce multiplied torque and lunge the transmission forward when putting into gear. First gear has a higher gear ratio, so it is more common to feel the lunge in first gear apposed to reverse gear. For the power steering leak, you will need to clean off the entire power steering system and then recheck for the leak and determine the source of the leak. If you need assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional mechanic to inspect why your power steering fluid is leaking.

3. Van jumps forward on the drive gear