Q: Van hard to start

I have to turn the key in the ignition two to three times for the engine to start.

A: Hi. Your problem has numerous potential cau...

Hi. Your problem has numerous potential causes. One thing that comes to mind, however, is that your fuel pump may be faulty. The pump may be allowing pressure to bleed off when the engine isn’t running. This can be tested by monitoring fuel pressure with a dedicated gauge. If the pressure drops when the engine is shut off, the pump is bad. A trained technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your vehicle’s starting issue and replace any failing parts.