Q: Van dying when put in gear

My van starts up, but once I put it in gear, it dies. AAA thought it was the alternator, but I think it could be an issue with the fuel system or the computer.

A: I think the most likely cause would be a fa...

I think the most likely cause would be a faulty computer or sensor of some kind. I would recommend having an inspection of the engine and transmission performed by a professional.

It would also help to scan the vehicle for any trouble codes that may exist with an OBD2 scanner. The trouble codes will aid tremendously in the diagnosis of this issue. In fact, it would be very difficult to diagnose without them.

I have also heard of motor mounts going bad to the point that the engine shifts, and it automatically shuts off due to the excessive torque. I would recommend having the engine and transmission mounts inspected as well just for piece of mind.