Q: Van dropping out of gear

The ECU in my van needs to be replaced. The dash lights and dials cut out while it is running. In addition, when you press the brake pedal, it drops out of gear and won't move until you cycle through the gears.

A: Hi, before you replace the ECU, make sure a...

Hi, before you replace the ECU, make sure all the related fuses are still intact and that the wires haven’t been damaged. You can try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes. Resetting the computer can fix small bugs like this sometimes. As for the transmission, I would check and make sure you car has enough transmission fluid. If it is low, the transmission won’t be able to supply the correct amount of pressure to keep a certain gear engaged. Check for puddles underneath the car when it has sat for a while. One of our certified technicians here at YourMechanic would be able to help you diagnose these issues.