Q: Van chugs at highway speeds

My van has approx. 220,000 miles. It chugs when I’m driving 45 mph and chugs intermittently at higher speeds. I have already replaced the spark plugs and also the wires. In your professional experience, what is the problem and what would be the fix?

A: When you say "chugs" I’m not sure...

When you say "chugs" I’m not sure if you mean hesitation or misfire, or just loss of power. But let’s hit on some of the basics. I recommend checking for any diagnostic trouble codes that may be set in the computer (PCM). Fuel pressure should be checked and compared to specifications. Other possibilities are a fuel pump that is dying, a faulty throttle position sensor (TPS), or a failing PCM can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. If you want to have this checked, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location and diagnose your vehicle’s hesitation or misfire issue and let you know what needs to be repaired.