Q: Valve Cover Gaskets/ Transmission line fittings to the radiator, do I need them?

Hi,

I went to a mechanic to put in the new oil pressure sensor that I had just bought and he told me he noticed two leaks while he was looking underneath the car. And that I needed to buy a valve cover gasket and 2 transmission line fittings to the radiator for him. How can I be sure that these repairs are needed? I saw that changing the valve cover gaskets on a car is not a small job. I dont want to end up having "repairs" done to my car which it didn't really need. Please let me know how I can know if this repair actually needs to be done.

Hello. The only way to really know for sure if you need to have these repairs done would be to get a second opinion. If the valve covers are leaking then they should be repaired to prevent further issues. As for the transmission line fittings, if these are leaking at the transmission then they need to be fixed also. Most of the time that does not need anything more than tightening the hoses at the fitting to stop any leakage. If you would like to get a second opinion on these leaks, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

• Valve Cover Gaskets/ Transmission line fittings to the radiator, do I need them?