Q: Using a lot of oil now

My 2007 Chevrolet Silverado with 50,000 miles on it is fairly low mileage for its model year. For the last 10,000 miles or so the truck went through a quart of oil every 2,000 miles or so. I didn’t really think much of it as I use my truck for work pretty regularly. Recently though, I have had to add at least a quart every thousand miles. Nothing seems broken, but this problem is getting expensive! How can I stop the oil consumption?

Your truck is using excessive oil in my opinion. Chevrolet has oil consumption ongoing issues for your 2007 model. I would recommend getting an oil consumption test to document the exact amount of oil you are using per 1000 or 2000 miles. This test would be done by your dealer and would start with a fresh oil change and all oil entries will be tamper proofed for accuracy of test. Once the test is started you will have to bring in your truck at the dealers recommended time interval to have oil added and to document oil added and mileage driven. If dealer determines your truck has excessive oil consumption, then a full diagnostics would have to be done to locate cause. This issue may be caused by the pistons oil control rings allowing too much oil to get past them when the piston is on its down stroke. The rings in newer style engines do not have as much tension pushing on cylinder walls as the older year engines did. This is a design to reduce friction and increase gas mileage on all newer engines. The problem is the lower tension rings can allow excessive oil to get by them and cause the oil consumption. To fix your engine you would have to replace all the piston rings and, if new style valve covers apply to your VIN number, your valve covers as well.

3. Using a lot of oil now