Q: Useless heater, live in a cold region

The AC in my 2008 Jeep Wrangler has never been great and I have always accepted that as a Jeep quirk. Now I can barely get hot air out of it in the winter! That’s when I need the air, the roof is off all summer. This truck has 75,000 miles on it and I want to keep it for the long haul. What is a good way to repair this problem once and for all? I need the heaters to defrost the windows in the winter.

A: It sounds like this could be one of a few p...

It sounds like this could be one of a few problems.

The heater on your Jeep Wrangler gets heat from the engine(provided it has a gas engine). Two coolant lines from the engine flow engine coolant through a heater core to heat it up. The dash controls blend the heated air with outside air to control inside temperature and send the air where you want it to go.

The first thing to check is that the engine is getting up to operating temperature. If it is, then the coolant flow needs to be checked. The engine can also not transmit enough heat due to a stuck fan clutch or the thermostat being stuck open.

The other problem may be that the temperature control door doesn’t have full movement. If it does not, then the cable control probably needs repair.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your engine and temperature controls to diagnose and repair your heater problem.