Q: Uneven tire wear & airbag light off when passenger sits in it

My car has around 45,000 miles. I’ve been noticing that there is uneven wear on all my tires. I have them rotated every 3,000 miles, so I don’t think they should be showing this much uneven wear on them. Also, when someone sits in the passenger seat the airbag light is Off and when no one is sitting in it, the airbag light is On. Several times I returned the car to the dealer and they said that the person doesn’t weigh enough for the airbag light to come on. Do you agree with their assessment and what do you suggest?

A: If you feel that the wear is excessive on y...

If you feel that the wear is excessive on your vehicle, then I would suggest taking the vehicle to the dealer or have a mechanic look at it for you. It is not uncommon for the front and rear of a vehicle to wear differently. This is why tires are rotated so that can wear out at the same time. Most of the time, the front tires will feather on the outside and the back will do the same but in the opposite side of the tire. Rotating allows the feather to be worn off and start over again. If you see abnormal wear or one tire that is wearing more than the others, then you may have an alignment issue. Make sure tire pressures are checked every time you fill up with fuel or at least once a month. Low pressure is a cause for excessive wear on the outsides of the tires.