Q: uncontrolled acceleration

While on the highway my van, while using cruise control , while passing the accelerator pegged itself Shutting the van off turning the cc off and tapping both peddles did nothing had to turn it off and coast it to a stop stopped and it did not happen again. Cause?

A: Hi there. First, we’re glad you were able t...

Hi there. First, we’re glad you were able to get your van stopped. A stuck throttle is never a good thing. In the case of your 2009 Grand Caravan, the issue may be caused by a broken cruise control cable or the cruise control ECM system that activates an electronic throttle control (if your specific model has this function).

Most of the time, a stuck throttle situation occurs in a vehicle with a secondary throttle control cable that breaks on the throttle body after it’s activated and keeps the throttle open - even when you press the brake or turn off the cruise control.

Without being there personally to check it, it’s hard to give you an exact diagnosis. However, if you need more help, consider having one of our local ASE certified mechanics come to your home or office to inspect the stalling issue and let you know what needs to be repaired.