Q: Unable to start the engine

Hi, my 2004 Nissan ALTIMA S suddenly did not accelerate while on drive mode. Though it moved with little power until i moved to nearest parking, Now i am unable to start. I don't see battery as a problem because dash lights are ON, head lamps are also turning ON. When i try start the engine, i listen little tick tick noice from engine but not turning ON. Before this has happened i have noticed brake indicator and battery indicator was ON on my dashboard. I wanted to know what could be the problem. Thanks

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a problem with your charging system that is allowing your battery to fail resulting in the car coming to a stop as you describe. When you try turning the key and hear the clicking noise, this is often an indication of a dead battery as the battery simply does not have enough power to turn the engine over. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. Unable to start the engine