Q: Unable to decide if I should get a diesel or gas.

I am eagerly seeking to purchase a new 2016 RAM 2500. I've been trying to do research on gas semi vs diesel. I want something that'll last a long time. I will be hauling a ton (payload) of wood pellets from time to time. Eventually getting a camper trailer. My family and I travel (driving) on the weekends and for vacations. I live in the northeast. I know about the gelling of fuel, adding anti-gell to fuel, and the impertinence of changing the fuel filter. I work long hours in the winter. Sometimes leaving my vehicle sit over 24 or 48 hrs in the cold (below 0). At work I do not have access to an electrical plug to plug it in while working. My heart really wants a diesel, but I fear that I won't be able to start it when I get back from work and want to go home. Otherwise I'd get one in a heartbeat. I was informed that the cylinder deactivation on the gas engines that they are very complicated system and will have trouble when they get older. Please help!!!

A: The Cummings diesel will not let you down. ...

The Cummings diesel will not let you down. However, not having a block heater of any kind will cause cold start issues. Hauling loads will require a diesel to prevent engine wear versus a gas engine.

I would recommend the diesel and maybe a small generator to power a block heater. If you could come up with a method of protecting the generator from weather (such as a few pallets to a crate with a tarp), you will be ok.

Overall, towing and hauling, you really will need the diesel engine. The problem comes with the cold. A very small generator can supply the low current to provide the block heater.