Q: Unable to decide if I should get a diesel or gas.

I am eagerly seeking to purchase a new 2016 RAM 2500. I've been trying to do research on gas semi vs diesel. I want something that'll last a long time. I will be hauling a ton (payload) of wood pellets from time to time. Eventually getting a camper trailer. My family and I travel (driving) on the weekends and for vacations. I live in the northeast. I know about the gelling of fuel, adding anti-gell to fuel, and the impertinence of changing the fuel filter. I work long hours in the winter. Sometimes leaving my vehicle sit over 24 or 48 hrs in the cold (below 0). At work I do not have access to an electrical plug to plug it in while working. My heart really wants a diesel, but I fear that I won't be able to start it when I get back from work and want to go home. Otherwise I'd get one in a heartbeat. I was informed that the cylinder deactivation on the gas engines that they are very complicated system and will have trouble when they get older. Please help!!!

The Cummings diesel will not let you down. However, not having a block heater of any kind will cause cold start issues. Hauling loads will require a diesel to prevent engine wear versus a gas engine.

I would recommend the diesel and maybe a small generator to power a block heater. If you could come up with a method of protecting the generator from weather (such as a few pallets to a crate with a tarp), you will be ok.

Overall, towing and hauling, you really will need the diesel engine. The problem comes with the cold. A very small generator can supply the low current to provide the block heater.

3. Unable to decide if I should get a diesel or gas.