Q: Turn signal issue

Driver's Side Turn Signal is not working properly when headlights are on - blinking as if a bulb is out, but bulbs are fine. No issues at all when headlights are off (daytime). Friends have suggested a ground issue, but I do not know where to start to look in order to fix the issue myself.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

A ground issue, or short, is a good place to start. There are a few ways to go about tracing down a turn signal issue. Either way you will want to use a voltmeter to trace the flow of electricity.

Since it happens when the headlights are on, the short is likely related to that circuit. Find where the two circuits come in contact with each other and test there first. This is likely from the driver controls to the headlight themselves. The issue could be in the fuse box as well.

Start with the bulb, and trace the wires. Test for available voltage along the wire. Check about every foot or so. You can use sewing pins to probe the wire, and connect the voltmeter lead to it instead of accessing the wire or doing damage.

Be sure to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or business and inspect for any electrical problems and get the turn signal issues resolved.

3. Turn signal issue