Q: Trying to put a Duramax engine in

I don't want to buy a brand new engine to have it not fit into the truck

A: Hey there. This can be done for sure, but i...

Hey there. This can be done for sure, but it isn't a direct bolt in process. This is a project for someone with experience and passion for working on cars, or the budget to pay someone as much as a newer Duramax truck. The challenge with a project such as this is there will be many problems and challenges. The person who takes it on must enjoy creative problem solving to complete the project. You will need the motor, Allison transmission and the PCM and wiring harness for a Duaramax. Those are just the main items. Often times, the biggest expense is all the little items that are needed to complete the job. Hoses, clamps, gaskets, fabrication of brackets, engine mounts, etc. And then there are the unforeseen obstacles that are part of every project of this nature.

The cost of this sort of project will quickly add up. Unless you have some strong sentimental value with this rig, you will be able to purchase a newer truck for the same cost. The only exception to this is if you are doing the entire project yourself, which will take many hours of searching for answers, parts and time working on the truck. It is a very big project that should not be taken lightly.

There are two good sources for the purchase of a Duramax engine. A wrecking yard or the manufacturer. As I stated before, it is going to take a lot more than just the motor. To be completely honest, you will have to make the motor fit, nothing is going to fit directly. If you would like to have an expert fully inspect the car in person, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the vehicle and advice you on the best actions to take next.