Q: Trying to change fuel filter on 1994 F-150, but the space between FF & fuel line prevents use of quick connect tool.

I am trying to change the fuel filter on a 1994 F1 50… The space between body of the filter and the female connector doesn’t seem to be adequate… To use the quick release tool… There’s only about 1/4 of an inch of space… But the quick release tool seems to require more space

The quick release tools vary in dimension. You may just have the wrong one. Ford vends its own tool for this purpose. It is a tight fit but if you are using a plastic version of the tool, you can angle it in to get it started. Also, there might be some outward movement possible on the tube which might be enough to gain access. If you don’t want to obtain another tool, you can crush the pipe just as it enters the disposable fuel filter. Then just gently pry back and forth and metal fatigue will release the filter segment that is in the way. It’s not the most elegant solution but it will work if you are VERY careful (fuel is explosive and combustible). Be sure to relieve all system pressure and it is also a good idea to position a fan to draw vapors away from the area that you are working in. If you want a certified mechanic to resolve this using the correct (vehicle specific) removal tool, please simply request fuel filter replacement. If you have already purchased the filter, there will only be a labor charge. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Trying to change fuel filter on 1994 F-150, but the space between FF & fuel line prevents use of quick connect tool.