Q: Truck won't start

My truck won't start. Earlier in the day while I was driving the truck, I stopped at a red light, and the oil light came on (even though the truck had an oil change a couple of weeks before) and the truck was on drive, but it wouldn't move when I put my foot on the accelerator. So I put it in park, turned off the truck and turned it back on again. The oil light disappeared and the truck was running fine again. Later in the day, my husband took it to work, and now the truck won't start up again. Any idea what might be causing this? I should mention that the truck is way past due for a tune up.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. There are a variety of potential issues that may have caused this. The oil light coming on should not have anything to do with the truck stalling unless the oil level is severely low and the truck’s computer may have gone into "safe mode", which is a safety feature of the truck that is engaged when something goes wrong with the truck that may be catastrophic in terms of engine failure or safety. When this happens, the computer simply shuts the truck down and will not allow it to move in an effort to preserve the engine and safety of the passengers.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this no-start issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.