Q: Truck won't start and needs a battery.

I cannot get a newly purchased 1985 GMC K1500 to start, even though it was running a couple of days ago. While I think the truck needs a new battery, a job I can do myself, I am not confident this will fix the problem as the battery is turning the engine over.

It sounds like your battery is working properly if your engine is turning over normally. I would have to say you are having a fuel or ignition problem. The most common problem would be the fuel pump in the fuel tank and filter on this vehicle. The next most common problem is the ignition module in the distributor. Some common tests would have to be done to isolate the cause and I would recommend you get a mechanic to inspect your starting problem for you to see if the cause is the fuel pump pressure or the ignition system that has failed.