Q: Truck stalls sporadically

Several months ago I had the new fuel pump installed on the truck. Ever since then, the truck has been having intermittent stalling issues. It used to happen on occasion. But now, it is happening with the increasing frequency. The stalling happens usually while I'm driving around 50 mph. Then, I would usually be able to restart it right away. But, if it fails to start up immediately, it would start after half an hour or so. The dash doesn't show any lights. There are no error codes either. I can hear the pump working too. I am unable to drive any longer distances as I already was towed before due to this stalling problem. Do you have any advice on what I should check next?

Hello there. Thanks for writing in about your 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. When faults occur after a repair has been made, the newly repaired item is usually the first place to check. A few possible causes for the stalling after the fuel pump was installed would be a failed fuel pump, clogged fuel line, fuel filter, in-tank fuel sock, or a bad electrical connection. Even installing a new fuel pump is not out of the question, since it is not impossible for the new part to have bad (though this is extremely rare). If you need to have a second opinion on this, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the stalling issue and perform any repairs required.

3. Truck stalls sporadically