Q: Evaporative Emissions Control

I also took the charcoal canister off and the pellets inside were loose. Put same canister back on and crank vehicle and check engine light that was on prior to taking canister off was no longer there and to this day still hasn't came back on with same issues going on. could the canister be the whole problem?

Hello, It sounds like the vent valve on the charcoal canister may not be working properly which can cause the fumes inside the canister to build up creating the fuel smell you describe. As you know, your car has a small purge valve called a purge solenoid in the Evaporative Emissions system that controls the venting of fumes from the fuel tank as these fumes build up inside, particularly when you are refueling the car with gas. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. The vent valve is controlled by the engine computer (PCM). Normally the vent valve is open. It closes when the engine computer tests the EVAP system for leaks. If a leak in the EVAP system is detected, the Check Engine light will illuminate on the dash and the trouble code related to the problem will be stored in the engine computer. When an air leak is present in the EVAP system, the MAP sensor will not be able to determine the air density, and the MAF sensor will not be able to determine the volume of air, entering the engine correctly. This will lead to an over fueling situation or an under fueling situation depending on the size of the air leak and engine operating speeds and load. This is likely what is causing your truck to sputter and die. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.