Q: Truck slowly overheats only when AC is on and not moving

Truck slowly starts to overhear when it is stationary for a few minutes and with the AC on. Does not overheat at all with AC on and truck moving. Does not overheat at all with AC off and truck standing still.

Water pump and thermostat are good. How do I fix this please?

Thank you

Hi there:

In most circumstances when the vehicle overheats when the AC is on, it’s caused by a malfunction of one of the cooling fans. Most vehicles have two cooling fans on the radiator; one for cooling the vehicle normally, the other for when the AC come on. Check both cooling fans to see if they have power and are operational. If that doesn’t clear up your issue, contact a professional mechanic to [complete a car is overheating inspection] so they can determine why your 2006 Dodge pick-up is overheating.

3. Truck slowly overheats only when AC is on and not moving