Q: Truck slightly jumps at high speeds

I purchased a used car and it has approx. 96,000 miles. In the beginning, it drove very well, but then after a few days every time I’d remove my foot from the accelerator and then apply gas again, the truck would jump slightly, especially at high speeds. If I would apply the gas slowly, it wouldn’t do it. It was like the transmission might be slipping. I returned to the dealership (Ford) and was told that everything checked out okay. I even drove with a mechanic and showed him the problem, but since the truck is still under powertrain warranty, they don’t want to do anything. They said I’d have to take it to the Honda dealer, which I did. I paid the diagnostic fee to have it checked out. I drove with one of their techs and he noticed the hump after applying gas. After checking it, they explained that it wasn’t the transmission, but instead a Backlash in the differential (or something like that) - and that it was normal for that to happen and wouldn’t be covered under warranty. They said there’s always a bit of play on gear or something like that. That just doesn’t sound right to me. In my thinking, they don’t want to work on it since it is close to the end of the warranty. In your professional experience, what is the problem and what do you think would fix it?

Hello. It is possible that the rear differential is experiencing backlash. Backlash is normal in the differential and every truck will experience this. However, the backlash shouldn’t be so great that it causes the truck to jump. This may be covered under warranty, but if the dealership says that this is normal, they will not replace it under warranty. Another option would be to have the rear differential rebuilt. This option may be more cost effective than having a new rear differential put on the truck.