Q: Truck shuts off, trembles, difficult to restart

My truck shuts off while I'm driving it. When I try to start it up again, it trembles and shuts off several more times until I manage to turn it on again. It occasionally runs fine. About ten months ago, I had similar issues so I took it to the dealer. He had the fuel pump replced but to no avail. A few months ago, the dealer changed the IPDM as the truck had the symptoms of that module being broken. Now it has the issues again and I wonder if it is the IPDM is broken again. Do you have any suggestion how I can fix it? I would like to do it myself. Thanks.

A: It is possible the IPDM or fuel pump is bad...

It is possible the IPDM or fuel pump is bad again but would need to have the systems tested to verify this diagnosis. A fuel pressure test and a computer test would display codes that would need to be diagnosed. The vehicle may have loose connections at the ECM or battery ground connections to the body need to be cleaned and retightened. I’d recommend having the vehicle looked at by a qualified mechanic, they will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and the other symptoms you’ve experienced. Once that is done, an accurate repair can be made to get your car running normally again.