Q: Truck shut off while going down a hill

My check engine light never goes off. When I go over 55 for a constant time the check engine light blinks. When coming down a hill towards a stop sign today the truck shut off and would not start back up. It's never stalled or sputtered before. All electronics still work and truck tries to start. Sounds like it is out of gas even though it is not. Wasn't sure if it was possibly a crank shaft sensor or fuel pump. Input is appreciated.

A: A full diagnostic would be needed to identi...

A full diagnostic would be needed to identify the issue. A key to that effort will be reading the diagnostic trouble codes that have set the Check Engine Light on.

With those codes and a few quick tests, it should then be relatively easy to find the fault. In particular, the crankshaft position sensor should be tested for functionality.

If you suspect the fuel pump has gone bad or has totally failed (or if it has beed disconnected due to a wiring/terminal fault), you can check its condition by having an assistant turn the key to the "On" position as you listen back at the tank for the characteristic noise. There is a momentary "whirring" sound that the tank pump will make as it turns on and pressurizes the fuel system prior to ignition. If there is dead silence at the instant the key is turned "On", then there is an problem with the circuit or the pump itself.

If you would like to have the stalling problem diagnosed by an expert, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the issue and move forward with repairs.