Q: truck overheating

truck overheats during extended drives or putting more than normal strain on the engine ie pulling a boat or going up big hills. truck will not overheat while sitting still or normal driving. as soon as i slow down or turn on heater temp goes back down to normal. i have flushed and changed coolant and changed the thermostat.

Hi there. The problem you’re describing tends to occur when one of two issues exist. First, overheating while towing can occur when air bubbles are trapped in the coolant lines. A second issue could be the coolant temperature sensor that is damaged or the electrical connector attached is faulty. Sometimes you will have to prime the radiator in order to avoid air bubbles.