Q: Truck needs new Power Train Control Module

My nephew inserted a program into my truck which is supposed to calibrate new tire mpg. After he installed it, the screen showed a display to turn the truck off, so we did. Now... Everything has quit - zip - nada - we can't even get it to go into neutral! So we've had it towed to the dealership and they said the PCM had been erased and they want to install a new one – which is an outrageous amount - my nephew feels sick about it and of course, so do I. Please tell us what to do!!

Hello. For a problem like this one, the only other option you have other than installing a new Powertrain Control Module (PCM), is to get an aftermarket or used PCM from a junkyard, which will cut down cost. However, the PCM will still need to be reprogrammed, and that is something that the dealership will have to do.