Q: Truck needs new Power Train Control Module

My nephew inserted a program into my truck which is supposed to calibrate new tire mpg. After he installed it, the screen showed a display to turn the truck off, so we did. Now... Everything has quit - zip - nada - we can't even get it to go into neutral! So we've had it towed to the dealership and they said the PCM had been erased and they want to install a new one – which is an outrageous amount - my nephew feels sick about it and of course, so do I. Please tell us what to do!!

Hello. For a problem like this one, the only other option you have other than installing a new Powertrain Control Module (PCM), is to get an aftermarket or used PCM from a junkyard, which will cut down cost. However, the PCM will still need to be reprogrammed, and that is something that the dealership will have to do.

3. Truck needs new Power Train Control Module