Q: Truck making a ticking noise from the rear

Truck just started making a ticking noise from the rear. I've shaken the driveshaft to see if the unjoints were bad but no play in drive shaft. Looked for stuff in tires and loose objects such as sticks. The ticking happens when I accelerate. Seems to be louder after a right turn or could just be my imagination

A: Hello. Since the noise appears when acceler...

Hello. Since the noise appears when accelerating, I would suspect a dry U-joint or dry splines on the driveshaft (front, going into the transmission). These mechanic joints rotate or slide slightly when torque is applied, and if they are not lubricated, can make slight noises before they are worn enough to feel loose motion. If you would like to have the fault verified by an expert, a certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose the cause of the ticking noise at your home or office and can move forward with repairs from there.