Q: Truck dies if gas pedal not pressed

The battery drained. When I try to start the truck, it just makes multiple clicking sounds. The truck starts after a jumpstart, but it won't stay running unless the accelerator pedal is applied lightly.

A: Hello. It is likely that the battery has a ...

Hello. It is likely that the battery has a dead cell and is unable to receive a charge. This is more likely to happen as a battery ages. Usually, you can jumpstart the battery and the vehicle will run until it is switched off by the user. But if the battery is too low on or the alternator isn’t properly charging, the vehicle may shut off. I recommend testing the battery because we already know it is drained and it is the most important part of the starting system. I would also recommend testing the alternator because a good alternator should keep the vehicle running even if the battery is bad. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the battery on your vehicle and replace any damaged parts.