Q: Truck died on road

Engine is out of a 91 suburban (so 5.0 was a guess) I have recently replaced fuel pump cuz of similar situation. I was driving and it sputtered and died. Would not start again. I was told the accelerator pump needed replacing as I had to spray carb cleaner in it every morning to get it to start otherwise it would take a long time to start. It's still something I'm going to do when I got the cash. Truck was fine except for sputtering when I mashed the pedal. So I didn't do that and drove it casual. Then it died b4 I could fix it. Towed it home. It would start with carb cleaner and die when it burned off so I assumed the fuel pump went bad. Was about to take it out to replace it when I decided to run another test, I sprayed in carb cleaner, started it, it died, I disconnected fuel line from carb and turned key to verify gas was being pumped. It was so now I can rule out fuel pump. Wierd thing is, now it starts fine and stays running. Have started it several times each a success. ??

A: If it won’t start, but then it does when gi...

If it won’t start, but then it does when given an external fuel source (carb cleaner, etc.) that indicates it is not running because of lack of fuel. Without seeing your Suburban in person and just based on what you’ve shared, it sounds like that carburetor is begging to be rebuilt. Also, gas dribbling out of a disconnected fuel line doesn’t really count as a fuel pump test. It has to be delivered at specified pressure and volume. Since you are dealing with a carburetor and not fuel injection, pressure is a bit less critical, but volume is needed. See if it will fill a pint container in 30 seconds. And if you haven’t yet, put a new fuel filter in it, too. If you want to have this done, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue. From there, they can move forward with the correct repairs that your car needs.