Q: Truck developed idling problem - 1980 Ford F-100

I have a straight 6 cylinder vehicle. My truck was running very well and then developed an idling problem. I changed the spark plugs and also the wires, but those replacements did not make any difference in the idling problem. So that I could check the timing, I moved the distributor. However, that did not help either. In your professional viewpoint, what should I do to get my truck in good running performance?

Check the cap and rotor of the distributor. Wear and corrosion inside this component can cause many idling issues and misfires. Disconnect the coil and leave the cap off and observe the rotor spinning while having someone crank the vehicle over to see if the rotor rotates evenly. Worn bearings can cause the rotor to bounce around inside the cap. To have this inspected, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the idling problem and let you know what needs repair.

3. Truck developed idling problem - 1980 Ford F-100