Q: Truck cranks but stall when put in gear

My truck will crank but when i put it in gear it shuts off. Whats wrong with it

Hi there:

When you shift into a forward or reverse gear, the motor is subject to a load which will pull the RPM down normally. In most cases, when the engine stalls shortly after in an automatic transmission powered vehicle, worn out spark plugs or coil boots can cause this as well as a fuel system issue such as the idle control valve or mass air flow sensor. It’s also caused by simple items like dirty or clogged fuel injectors and the throttle body being dirty which can be cleaned. The best way to know for certain is to have one of our mobile mechanics complete a car is stalling inspection; so they can pinpoint the source of your Explorer’s issues and recommend the right repairs or service.

3. Truck cranks but stall when put in gear