Q: Trouble with security system

I'm having some trouble with the security system. When I tried to start my car this morning, the alarm went off and the engine would not turn over. I turned off the alarm and tried again, but everything was off -- no dashboard lights, no radio, no windows. Only the red Security light was flashing on my dashboard. I have to unattach the battery so the alarm doesn't randomly go off. I was reading online that there may be a security-reset that needs to happen. I tried taking out the alarm fuses but that didn't help.

Depending on whether or not the security system is aftermarket or not makes a great deal of difference when dealing with these issues. An aftermarket system comes with the chance that it was not installed correctly. As well as the amount of information available dirt aftermarket system that would be used to aid in diagnostics is more scarce. The system needs to be identified to narrow down the possibilities causing your issue. A proper inspection of the system should be carried out by a qualified technician like the ones here at YourMechanic in order to trace out the circuits and make sure that the system was installed correctly. Then a diagnostic can be performed to pin point the true cause of your concern.